11.01.2008

Muffins & scones are not photogenic


This is the first of the desserts I've made that photographed well...I hadn't heard of creme caramel before, but basically it's creme brulee in reverse. The caramel is made by burning sugar in a pot until it turns a golden brown. The (very) hot caramel is then poured into little tins and left to cool for a few minutes. The custard part is egg-based and is poured on top of the caramel. These are then baked in a water bath. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days; overnight is best as the custard has a chance to absorb some of the caramel taste. To plate them, simply run hot water on the bottom of the cup for a few seconds and tip over onto a plate.


This doesn't look as interesting as the creme caramel, but it was actually whipped cream-based and flavoured with concentrated raspberry paste...I'm not a huge fan of custards, but it was really good! These Bavarian Creams were whipped up and left in the fridge to set for about an hour - then plated the same way as the creme caramel. These can be frozen, although I don't know why you would want to store this rather than just making and serving it fresh. Suggested garnishes: Mint leaves and raspberries.

No comments: