
I first tried Alfajores at
La Merceria, a pretty cafe/home decor shop near my office. They are the Argentinian version of shortbread in the form of little sandwich cookies filled with Dulce de Leche or jam. This version is from the LCBO's
Food and Drink magazine and contains both almond & all-purpose flour, butter, grated lemon peel, eggs, vanilla, salt and icing sugar.

Once mixed, the dough is chilled, rolled out and cut into circles. Baking time is 20 minutes at 325 degrees. I made Dulce de Leche for the filling because, duh, it's caramel and who doesn't like caramel? Whole milk & sugar is boiled, then baking soda added and the mixture simmered for about an hour until it browns {I only made a cup's worth; larger batches will take 2-3 hours}. Then you're supposed stir rapidly for 10 minutes until it thickens. Mine turned out kind of watery so I put in the freezer overnight once it cooled and that thickened it up. Whatever dulce you have after leftover after assembling your cookies can be added to your morning latte. Mmmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment