5.20.2009

I need to go to Boston

They make a good pie and the shopping is tax-free. Boston Cream Pie is one of those recipes that I'm glad I had someone to show me how to make it as it's a bit daunting: sponge cake, pastry cream, chocolate icing and the assembly make it pretty time-consuming. First, sponge cake (eggs, sugar, bread flour, plus a bit of salt, vanilla and lemon emulsion) is baked and set aside to cool. I've made pastry cream before (for fruit flan); milk is brought to a boil and then a mixture of sugar + cornstarch and eggs + milk is added to it until it boils again. Once removed from the heat, butter and vanilla are added and this is set aside to cool. Whipped cream is then folded into the mixture. The chocolate icing is made with white fondant, pure chocolate and water over a double boiler.

To assemble, the sponge cake is cut into two layers and filled with the pastry cream. The chocolate icing is poured over the top and vanilla icing (white fondant, water) is piped over the top and a paring knife is used to make the design you see in the top photo. Finally, the edges of the pie are covered with piped whipped cream. Yummy - I especially loved the icing...reminds me of Chocolate Dip donuts from Tim Horton's.

No comments: